March 4, 2015

Family Stores: Donate Unused Items To The Salvation Army

Spring is right around the corner, so you know what that means! Right, spring cleaning and finding a ton of items you no longer use. I prefer to donate my items to Topeka's Rescue Mission because I know they will be used by people who really need them. However, not everyone has a local shelter to donate to. Another good option is to give to the Salvation Army.

Your donations are tax deductible. You can donate more than just clothes. Some items you can donate include household goods, knick-knacks, toys, appliances, furniture, even cars! The Salvation Army released the Family Store app on iTunes and Google Play. This app has drop off locations, and even lets you schedule someone to pick up your items if your donation is too large or if you're unable to visit the drop off locations. You can receive your donation tax receipt via the app and even get rewards for your local store (although this feature was not available for my store last I checked).

Salvation Army stores fund the organization's Adult Rehabilitation Centers. Although my local store is of low quality, I am sure most stores nationwide are great places to find gently used clothes. I personally enjoy going to the Goodwill because I'm always bound to find great shirts. I've seen talented seamstresses on Pinterest transform ill fitting or unflattering thrift shop clothes into beautiful clothes. Also, if you're just starting out in your own apartment, dorm, house, etc, thrift shops are great places to find decorations that can be revamped.

Many thrift store are ran by nonprofits, churches, or  businesses that contribute to the community. By buying or donating from them, you can help a good cause!

Do you like to thrift shop? Where are your favorite places to donate or shop? Please respond below.

Salvation Army Family Store - screenshot thumbnail
Photo Credit: Salvation Army

More information on the Salvation Army
App on Google Play
App on iTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment