March 10, 2015

iRecycle: Do You?

We hear about changes to the environment all the time. We see pictures of animals harmed by trash that ends up in rivers and such. We know that many of the products we use are bad for our land, animals, resource areas, and ultimately us. But we still don't recycle. I know I don't. Shawnee County (where Topeka is located), joined many other counties and towns around the country a few years ago by requiring residents who pay for trash services through the county to use a recycling can. Unfortunately, the apartment complex I live in doesn't have a recycling dumpster. This means that I don't recycle because I don't have a convenient place to take it to...or so I thought. There are multiple websites and apps that let users search for recycling areas near them. One that comes to mind is iRecycle. This app lets you search for centers by types of materials they accept, and there are many. You can also search by zip code or city. I am much more likely to recycle now that I know my plastic bags are accepted at Walmart (although it is a good idea to just use reusable bags), or that local churches will recycle paper.


Do you recycle or reuse materials?
Photo Credit: www.njfamily.com

For Apple
For Android
You can also visit this website to search for recycling bins near you.
http://www.earth911.com/eco-tech/irecycle-now-on-android/

1 comment:

  1. I do recycle, but only when I'm home with my family. We have two trash cans, one for the regular trash and the other for the recycling that has a blue lid. It's a natural thing for me to recycle and I'm glad that I can help with making the world a better place!

    ReplyDelete