May 17, 2015

A Letter To The Graduates

Yesterday was the day when many high school and college students graduate in the Topeka area. I got to go to Topeka High's and Washburn University's ceremonies today. You may be wondering where you will go from here, or what mark you will leave. I may not have finished my degrees yet, but here is what I have to say:

Congratulations! You have the dedication to successfully complete your studies, although you had the chance to drop out. This may be the end of your schooling, or you may pursue more advanced studies. You are not done learning, however. You will undoubtedly develop more skills and increase your knowledge. You will learn something new as each day passes.

I do not know what passions and skills you have. You may want to join the military, like some of my friends.Here is what I do know. You possess something that can improve your community. You may open up a business that fills an essential need . You may become an educator and inspire other great minds. You may become a farmer and feed many people. Or maybe you will become a politician and have the chance to create legislation that helps the public.

You may start a family,instead of or in addition to a career. As a parent you will be directly influencing a member of the next generation. As a husband or wife you will  learn to take care of yourself and to work together with another person. Since being married, I have learned to see points of view besides my own in a conflict and that being "correct" is not as important as being kind.

You will stand up for what you believe in, whether you become a high-profile advocate or someone who speaks up for what is right in the midst of everyday life. Maybe you will even create a nonprofit that will help thousands.

You will undoubtedly change, hopefully for the better. You will meet new people, making many friends.

You will make a difference, regardless of if you are famous or if you are a "regular Joe". You will have chances to improve your life and the lives of others.

Go out there and do it!


No comments:

Post a Comment