I used to hate getting any criticism, even if it was constructive. I have learned to look for advice on how to improve myself and my work, and to understand that most people offer advice because they truly want to see you succeed.

Of course, there's also people who make negative comments just to hurt others, or say something mean without realizing the sting of the words. Bullying is never cool.
What do you say when someone says something mean to you?
Some kinder remarks

Of course, there's also people who make negative comments just to hurt others, or say something mean without realizing the sting of the words. Bullying is never cool.
What do you say when someone says something mean to you?
Some kinder remarks
- "What an interesting idea"
- "I'll have to look into that"
- “Excuse me, what did you say?”
- "Where did you hear that from?"
- "Thank you for your input"
- Just laugh/smile
- State facts/cite sources to defend your position
- Walk away
- Ask how they're an expert
- Shrug it off
- "Is that really what you believe?"
- Because mean remarks are often a sign of someone's insecurity, offer to teach them something they may not be good at
- "Elaborate, please."
- "Bless your hear" (a Southern colloquialism)
To do on your own
- Pray for them, if you are religious, mostly for the above reason. And no, "I hope they get hit by a bus" does not constitute as praying.
- Chanel your emotions by drawing, writing, or really through any creative activities or sports (i.e. get your anger out by kickboxing).
Although the goal of this blog is to spread positivity, here are a few cheeky replies
- "Now that you gave your two cents, may I have the rest of the dollar?"
- Say something in a foreign language or use advanced vocabulary. This is something I often did when I was bullied growing up. It confused people.
- "I'm sorry you're feeling insecure."
- Would you say that to your mother/girlfriend/person they care about?"
- "Are you done so I can attend to more important things?
- "And this sets me apart from you...how?"
- "Wow. That was sure impressive"
Have you been bullied or the target of mean remarks? How did you handle it? Share below!
No comments:
Post a Comment