May 25, 2015

Why A "B" Isn't So Bad

I had a class this semester where the professor didn't grade my paper until after he already submitted my final grade, which was a B with the missing paper. I was so sure that if he only graded the paper, I
would have an A in the class, giving me a 4.0 for this semester.

However, he messaged me back yesterday, letting me know that although I was on the verge of an A, that he would still give me a B. This set me at a 3.87 for my overall GPA, down from a 3.91.

Now most people would say that a B is still ok, as my professor noted. For me, however, it means I failed. But in reality, is it really that bad?

Right now, as I'm complaining about a B:

  • Children and women around the world are without access to an education, let alone a college education.
  • People worldwide are starving.
  • People are dealing with illnesses, injuries, and disabilities.
  • Terrorists are taking over entire villages.
  • Civil war is raging in various nations.
  • Human rights are being violated.
  • People, right in my own town, are suffering from poverty.
  • And so much more...
So in reality, is my B the end of the world? No. It means that I have blessed with access to an education. If a B is the worst of my problems, I have no right to complain. This can apply to many first world problems, such as "I can't charge my phone", or "There's nothing in the kitchen that I want to eat". 


When we have issues like this, we need to set them in perspective and be thankful that we have a reason to complain.

As I'm closing this post, I also want to wish a happy Memorial Day for all of my American readers. Let us not forget the sacrifice behind this holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment